Pages

Friday, December 16, 2011

Food Review: U-Mian @ Blk 732 Yishun Ring Road

My love for U-Mian started in Secondary school. My friend brought me one day to the coffee shop under his block at Khatib and got me to try this dish called Mee Hoon Kuay. At first, I was like, what crap is this?! But as I went on eating it, I really loved it. That was the first time and there were many times we had that same Mee Hoon Kuay over and over again. Then one day, he ordered Ban Mian! I was like, what is that? Why didn't you order Mee Hoon Kuay?! Then I realised that this dish was actually served in three different manners. One was Mee Hoon Kuay, another was Ban Mian, and the last was U-Mian. Mee Hoon Kuay was simply the dough rolled out and cut out into random diamond or square-like shapes. Ban Mian was the dough in the noodle form but slightly thicker. U-Mian was basically the dough in the noodle form. I tried all the three forms and liked U-Mian the most.


I tried this dish in many stalls but always loved the U-Mian from the coffee shop franchise called Qiu Lian Ban Mian. Then one day, I was introduced to this Ban Mian stall at a coffee shop at Blk 732 Yishun Ring Road. This was a stall run by two friendly uncles who took turns to run this stall in the day and evening. I fell in love with their U-Mian almost immediately.


Their noodle was very bouncy. It was really hand-made and not processed. The soup was really delicate yet full of flavor. The serving size was just right for a meal. And it costs only $2.50. I can honestly tell you, I have eaten their U-Mian a million times, but the taste of the noodle and the soup has never ever changed. I simply love their U-Mian. So if you live nearby, go ahead, try it and let me know what you think of it.






SimpleMakan

0 comments:

Post a Comment