Pages

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Food review: The Banana Leaf Apollo @ Little India

My girlfriend and I were not supposed to have lunch. We were supposed to head home. But somehow, I do not remember how, we ended up at The Banana Leaf Apollo. This is an indian restaurant located at Little India. They have been in business for quite a number of years. They are one of the few indian restaurants who serve very consistent food, meaning the taste and quality is good and nice every time I eat there. They are kind of expensive but well, it is one of the cleaner and better indian restaurants you can find here.

They serve all sorts of dishes. From chicken to mutton to fish head curry. All the good stuff, they have. And the staff are definitely much more well-versed and friendly than the other restaurants. They cater a lot to foreigners and I witnessed the waiter speaking to a Japanese couple and telling them more about the dish and how they should eat it. That was good.

We ordered one chicken briyani set and one set of fried chicken. Ok, here is the thing about indian restaurants. Most of them have the free-flow rice system. So when you buy a chicken briyani set or chicken and rice set, you will be served the rice with some simple side dishes and the chicken will be served on the side. The rice and simple side dishes are free-flow. You can ask for refill of the rice and side dishes as many times as you want. So I did not want to eat any rice. When I ordered one chicken masala briyani set for my girlfriend and 1 set of fried chicken only for me, the waiter said that was not possible. I think they say it is not allowed because they do not want people to order just one set and share, which will be kind of a loss to them. So I told him it is fine, if that is the case, just cancel the briyani; just get me one chicken masala and fried chicken without any rice set. Then he immediately said, it is ok, I can have one briyani set with one fried chicken. Haha! So yup, just sharing with you guys because you might not understand why they do certain things in these restaurants and you might be confused.

Overall, the food is good. The food is spicy. And my girlfriend LOVES the food here. We should be going there again soon.











SimpleMakan

1 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Post a Comment