Pages

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Food Review: Greenhouse @ Ritz Carlton

Both of us were craving to have a buffet all of a sudden. We did not know where to go but we just wanted to have a buffet. I thought, why not try the "always-raved-about" buffet, Greenhouse at Ritz Carlton. I called and reserved 2 seats and we reached there even before they opened for seating because we were nearby. The moment it was 6.30pm, we got seated. The place itself was big. They had tons of seats,  but what surprised me immediately was the variety of food. It was NOT a lot. Ok, let me just say that this is an $80 buffet. It is extremely expensive, in my standards. And this was just so so to me. Maybe I am just expecting too much? Maybe the food on its own is worth the price?

So we went ahead to slowly walk around. I took quite a number of photos and started trying the food. I made it a point to try a little of everything. After trying almost everything, I had just one word to describe this buffet; disappointing. The food was actually quite bad. Everything seemed ready made or made in some factory and sent to the restaurant. The sushi obviously seemed made in a factory. The sashimi was fine, it wasn't exactly fresh but it was fine. The other japanese dishes were horrendous. The oysters were quite fresh but tasteless. The lobster was ok. The indian food tasted good. The chinese food tasted good. The other cooked dishes, which I have forgotten about, tasted quite ok as well. The soup was good but tasted like Campbells' canned soup. The desserts were horrible. I really do not know what more to say here.

This buffet was really disappointing to me simply because it was expensive but bad. I'm a person who is willing to pay for good food. Of course, I'm not a fine dining fanatic who pays $200 for a 4 course meal in posh restaurants but when I pay above average prices, I expect above average standards in the food. Everything here was just similar or below the standards of many other buffets I've been to.

What I can conclude from this experience, after a small discussion with my army friend, was that the price here was mainly for the lobster, sashimi and oysters. That is what you are paying for. The rest was just "extras which come free in the package". That is how I honestly feel about this buffet. Is it a buffet worth paying for? NO! Will I ever come back? Never! Even if it was free? YES, never again.

Oh, but the service staff were nice. They were very friendly and pleasing. And of course, the environment was clean and pleasant as well. Those are the only good things here.

























SimpleMakan

0 comments:

Post a Comment